Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Three Years Ago Today...

As some of you may have noticed, I've been pretty slow to post here as of late. Not for lack of trying, I assure you. I've got two longer, more dense pieces I've been working on, and am in the process of applying to the Path of Engagement program out in California. I'm also absolutely slammed with paid and non-paid work right now, which doesn't offer much in the way of the sort of free time one needs to write in any meaningful way.

However, recent events in Gaza, namely the Israeli shelling of of a home killing some 18 sleeping civilians, and the US veto of the UN Security Council resolution denouncing it, saw me going back to the journal I kept during my time in the Occupied Territories. Reading it over, I almost feel like I've somehow grown intellectually and spiritually dulled since. It highlighted questions I seem to have forgotten, and cast a different light on things I've grappled with more recently (especially in my spiritual life).

So, I've created a separate blog, where (for the next few weeks) I'll be posting the entries from that journal. Hopefully, they'll offer some of you something; not necessarily in terms of insight about the Occupation (much has changed in three years), or the politics of solidarity or whathaveyou... But perhaps in the way of what it means to be present in this life, what it means to be still enough to observe exactly what we don't know; what's at stake in our relationship to suffering, perhaps.

Joshua in Palestine (2003)

No comments: